Before IV SEDATION or GENERAL ANESTHESIA
Sierra Foothills Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Do not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- IMPORTANT EXCEPION: If you take regular medications daily, please continue to take these medications unless instructed otherwise by your surgeon. You may take medication with a small sip of water.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during your procedure, drive you home, and stay with you for several hours after surgery until you can sufficiently care for yourself.
- You should not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours after the anesthesia. If opioid pain medication is prescribed after surgery, you should not drive while taking this medication.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Please do not wear contact lenses, jewelry, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have asthma and use an albuterol inhaler, please bring the inhaler to the surgery appointment.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.